tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

Subaru Legacy 3.0 R: Hi, I have a 2008 Subaru Legacy 3.0R

I have a 2008 Subaru Legacy 3.0R AT, with 112.000kms with a click noise coming from center of chassis, under the car.
The noise appears at low speed, i.e when using 1st Gear or Reverse (when parking or when starting in motion)
This ins't a ritmic sound, but occurs like a single noise. Sounds like breaking a small piece of aluminum or plastic.
Any help will be grateful

Canuck Tech :

Hi there - my educated guess would be a universal joint in the driveshaft

Canuck Tech :

Do you have access to a mechanic?

Customer:

yes, I have access to the dealer

Canuck Tech :

This is not an unusual problem... will you be fixing it yourself?

Customer:

I had tested the noise in straight lines...forward and backwards..at low speed (10 km)

Customer:

No, I don't know mechanics so well, I prefer to be informed to whats is this problem exaclty..therefore, I can go to the dealer for an accurated service and price...i don't wat to be fooled

Canuck Tech :

a universal joint will make a noise as it is loaded, so if you move forward, stop, and then reverse, you are changing the load on the ujoint, and that's probably when you are hearing the noise

Customer:

It's expensive?

Canuck Tech :

I understand your concern. I can only make an educated guess over the internet, based upon my experience. If the mechanic said something like "You need a new transmission" I would not do it.

Canuck Tech :

I'll see if I can find a labor time and price. this will be US dollars

Customer:

ok,

Canuck Tech :

labor is .8 of an hour to remove and replace the driveshaft, plus .5 of an hour for each universal joint that needs replacing.

Canuck Tech :

I dont know what parts availability will be like in Chile... the whole driveshaft is $636.00 plus the labor to remove and replace it

Canuck Tech :

I understand it is tough to find a good mechanic, no matter where you are

Canuck Tech :

I would let a mechanic have a look at it, and see what they state the problem is, and then make a decision from that point.

Customer:

it is necessary to replace the driveshaft? or can be adjusted?

Customer:

what are the risk for the car to not repair the problem yet

Customer:

?

Canuck Tech :

There is no adjustment... The noise will get worse. It will move form a "ping" noise probably to a vibration eventually. Your dealer may be able to get universal joints... I think it is worth asking that question.

Customer:

It will solve the problem to replace the universal joint instead the whole driveshaft?

Canuck Tech :

If it is a universal joint proble, yes, new ones should fix the noise. I would still have someone drive the car and listen to the noise to be sure.

Customer:

Hi, would you tell me if there's replacemente universal joints for driveshafts?...or if I have to go for a complete driveshaft

Canuck Tech :

Hi there - I can't say for sure, because I'm based out of Canada. I can't say what is available in Chile - sorry! Canuck

Customer:

I can import it...I will aprecciate more info. thanks

Customer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m78p41HBE-8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Customer: Its very very similar to this click sound..almost the same
Customer: Its almost the same click noise of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m78p41HBE-8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Canuck Tech :

I'm sorry, but I can't go any further with this question... I am going to put it back out to other experts

Hi,welcome to JustAnswer.com,my name is XXXXX XXXXX get started solving your problem!Hi my advice would be first try to duplicate this by placing vehicle in drive with emergency brake on,place your left foot on the brake and right on the accelerator,make sure no one is in front of the car and lightly press the accelerator this will put a load on the drive train similar to the way your starting off and hopefully noise can be reproduced of you can duplicate it I would first check the engine and transmission mounting you may find bent or loose mount.This may also be something exhaust related,there are no real problems that are related to these components on this model or model year,Has this vehicle ever been involved in any type of collision minor or major,if you can try the procedure to reproduce the noise first and let me know I'll be here , thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did what you said,but cannot reproduce the noise
Sorry noises over the Internet are tough to diagnose,from your description the noise sounds like a load on the drive train makes it happen.To help us narrow it down further has there been any work done recently?How about the brakes have they been inspected?Is this noise constant when taking off and at low speeds?Has this vehicle been in any type of collision minor or major.I know I'm asking a lot of questions but they are necessary for us to try and figure this out,if there is anything you can add to your description let me know ,thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tamaz:

1. Hasn't been done any work on the car (only front suspensión, alingmente, ball joint, but the noise is before this service)

2. Brakes are ok.

3. The noise isn't constant, it happens sometimes (not always at taking off ...but only when taking off, I mean, only when just starting to movement at 1st gear or Reverse). Even if I stop at a red light, it is very very rare that the noise appears. In fact I don't remember if I have heard it in this situation

4. The noise isn't present in any other situation

I think the noise is almost the same noise shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m78p41HBE-8&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

Hi,great job this video you sent me really helps,that noise sound very similar to a creaking /snap noise a front sway bar link will make when they become dry,the best way to test them is lift the front end to unload suspension grab the front sway bar link and twist it may produce the noise,it may be very sloppy,either way that will require replacement,I've also heard this noise from loose front wheel bearings so make sure when the front end is lifted you check for play in the front wheels,again great job ,give those things a look and get back to me thanks!
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience: Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience