Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

2005 Subaru Outback: 000 miles check engine light..loose gas cap

2005 Subaru Outback 80,000 miles check engine light on, cruise control light flashing, cruise control doesn't work. Has been loose gas cap in past, now that doesn't fix it.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JA! I am Carguy1 and I will assist you today.
Hi there!
Sorry to say, but the codes will have to be checked to determine the cause of the light. There are over 500 reasons for the check engine light to come on. So if tightening the cap isn't fixing it, there is a different reason for it to be on.
The cruise is disabled automatically when the check engine light comes on, so that is actually normal. Without the code however, it is difficult to say why the light is on.
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What does "Codes will have to be checked mean? Is this an actual repair?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
No, when the check engine light comes on, the computer has a code stored in it. This has to be extracted to know where to begin to look for the problem and do the repair. The car has 5 monitored systems in it, they are controlled by the computer. If one of the systems has a problem, the computer will turn the light on.
A scan tool is then required to find the code, then the repair is made based on the information from the code.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK ... I read on a forum that this could be the software needing an update for my 2005 car. Is that possible? The Subaru dealer is going to want a lot of money to do anything electronic.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Well I can't say the software update is going to solve the check engine light issue without knowing what the code is. Usually an update is about one hour labor charge.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK ... One last thought. Since filling up with gas and tighening the gas cap DID fix this problem for a while, does that tell you anything?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Maybe the car needs a new gas cap, that is about all though. With so many other parts that can turn the light on, it's almost impossible to say.