Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

2001 Legacy Outback: engine running..running rough..weather..iat/MAP

Customer Question
carguy1, I was on here...
carguy1,
I was on here reading your conversation from a little over a year ago with a person who was having an issue with their 2001 Legacy Outback with the 2.5L non turbo engine running rough at idle. I am having the same issue with my 2002 Legacy Outback same motor. I have a Haynes repair manual, but it covers so many models over so many years that I am getting confused as to weather I have an IAT, an IAT/MAP and where they are located.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Subaru
4/3/2012
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 5 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Welcome to JA! I am Carguy1 and I will assist you today.
Hi there!
I am showing the IAT it is also the manifold pressure sensor.
Here is a diagram of it's location.
graphic
Okay, thank you sir. I attempted to clean it with some MAF cleaner, would I be better served to try the Sea Foam spray cleaner I have or carb and choke cleaner? Also I have an intermittent CEL light. I have not been able to get to a scan tool yet, but form reading your conversation I'm putting money on an O2 sensor.
I suspect a rough idle and if you have hesitation it will probably be the front O2. Just have seen a bunch of them.
Unless you actually have a code for the IAT/MAP sensor, it's likely doing it's job. All it does is read information. Then the ecm uses it to adjust fuel and how the engine is running.
I get some hesitation when it is doing its rough idle, it is not rough every time I come to a stop it seems to run in spurts. If I place car in N and rev engine above 3000 it seems to reset the idle. Still sounding like O2 sensor?
Yes, the best way to tell is with a scan tool that can read the O2 sensor input and the fuel trims. What I see happen is the fuel trim drops to lean levels. This causes the rough idle and the hesitation. The car is basically starving for fuel.
Sorry for the delay.
No problem in the delay. Thanks for your help. Any suggestions on an expert for a 1996 VW cabrio?
I don't do any VW really so I can't say. Most of the guys on those are pretty sharp. Take some time to read the profiles, find one that is actually a VW tech. Like I dabble in other lines, but Nissan and Subaru are my main lines.
Not saying the other guys are bad by any means, just some stuff is more common and the "dealer" techs would be up on it.
Thanks
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician