Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

2006 Subaru Outback: keyless entry..Replaced batteries..checked fuses…

Customer Question
2006 Subaru Outback keyless entry...
2006 Subaru Outback keyless entry stopped working with both key fobs. Replaced batteries and checked fuses - no change.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/2/2011
Subaru Mechanic: wrxteck, Subaru Technician replied 11 years ago
wrxteck
wrxteck, Subaru Technician

wrxteck :

u may need to program them steps are in the owners manual

Customer:

programmed successfully as described in the owners manual and no change in problem.

wrxteck :

DID THEY PROGRAM AND STILL NOT WORK..IF SO THEN U NEED A KEYLESS ENTRY MODULE....I WOULD TRY REPLACING THE REMOTES THEMSELVES FIRST

Customer:

What is the chance that both remotes would fail on the same day at the same time? I reprogrammed the remotes without a problem. I understand that the next step is a keyless entry module, but are there steps that I can isolate it it to that or the integration module before I head off to a dealer and spend a few hundred dollars? Is the module interchangeable between years/subaru models? Is there a step by step procedure somewhere to guide me through the process? I was looking for this type of assistance.

Customer:

Not sure about your recommendation to replace the remotes at aprox $200 then look at the module at another ~$300 with labor.

wrxteck :

the only other thing is that the remotes may need to be re-programmed to the module using the dealer tool..these are the tear drop style remotes if i'm not mistaken ...use a small screwdriver and ope the remotes..there should be an 8 digit number on the inside..this number is XXXXX to program using the scan tool..unfortunatly only the dealer has it

wrxteck :

and the integrated module is not swapable between cars but the keyless entry module is

wrxteck
wrxteck, Subaru Technician