Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

2008 Subaru Forester: the automatic transmission and if it does where

Does a 2008 Subaru Forester have a filter for the automatic transmission and if it does where is it located
GreetingsCustomerand welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
HI there!
Subaru uses a spin on filter that looks like an oil filter. Check the driver side of the car, located next to where the dipstick tube goes into the transmission body. Here is a diagram that may help.

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I followed the dipstick down and there is a cap with a 25 mm nut on it that looks like it may
house a transmission filter. Is it safe to take that cap off
No, that is not the filter. This is out of the manual for the forester, but I am thinking it is internal if it's the 5 speed. this is for the 4 speed and it looks like a black oil filter and should say ATF on it. If it doesn't or isn't there, then there is only a screen inside the pan.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is that 25 mm nut for?
Not sure on this. Actually not sure anything is a 25mm on the transmission
Here is a better pic of the filter. Is the 25 mm nut where the filter should be? If it is, then it is likely a plug and the 5 speed transmission.

graphic