Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

timing belt Subaru 2.5 1996 outback. tensioner broke and belt…

Customer Question
timing belt Subaru 2.5 1996...
timing belt Subaru 2.5 1996 outback. tensioner broke and belt was slapping in the covering. Got the tensioner out but the belt jump out of position. needed a new belt anyway but now can get it to run? Not sure if all valves are positioned correctly. All the marks from the belt align up.. How do you tell if the valves are in a correct position and the crank sprocket is correct. I put the triangle of that sprocket facing. any ideas.. basically have to start from the beginning.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Subaru
6/30/2010
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 8 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
This a dual overhead cam?
Hi David is my name and yes its a dohc engine
Hi David, I am Mike and I will see if I can help you out here. Was the woodruff key in the 6 o'clock position when you set the belt up?
sorry not to sure what the woodruff key is.. is it on the crank sprocket> the triangle mark and no i set it to straight up.
IF you look at the crank sprocket and the crank pulley,you will see a square notch. This is for the woodruff key. It looks like a square piece of steel. Believe it or not the triangle is not relevant for the timing belt. You have to get the woodruff key at 6,then you will see the notch for the timing belt to line up on. It will also line up with a notch on the oil pump. This has to be step one, then we get the cams into position and put the belt on.
I highlighted the notch for the key and the alignment mark on this diagram for you.
graphic
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Hey, David, I appreciate the accept,but we still have to line up all those cam shafts as well. You get back to me when you are ready to get them lined up as well. We are really just beginning with this!
ok did that
woodruff key is in the six o'clock position
Ok, now the fun starts. You have to line the upper cam sprockets so the single line is lined with the notch on the back cover. When you do this, you will see the double line pointing at 6 o'clock. Then you take the bottom cam and line the doubles up so they are at the 12 position.Then the single line will be at 3. You have to do this on both sides. The trick here is that the drivers side is going to be what we call loaded. It will be under pressure. The top will want to spin off,so you just keep plugging away. Also,you have to line the marks on the belt to these marks.Also,the timing belt rotation is clockwise.
I just also want you to know it is possible that you have bent valves. This is not from you not lining the belt up properly,but from it jumping while it was in the car. I am telling you this so you know if it idles rough when you start it.
Here is another diagram to help with the marks.
graphic
So I don't need to place the middle line on the timing belt yet?? I can set up the left side to align with the marks and put the belt to match is that ok.
You want to line up all the sprockets and the crank, then you have to slip the belt on so all the lines are lined up.
the car idled fine but the belt kept getting noisy. the bolts were not in place on the tensioner piston and lodged its self behind the tensioner pulley that kept tension on the belt until it became stretched out

Ok, well,I always think it is best to change the belt when something like this happens,rather then jump to conclusions. I just wanted you to be aware.
I have to sign off for the night. If you have any more questions,just let me know.I will get an email and respond in the morning.
shall i ailgn up the marks add the tension and try to start it??
Yep, that is what you want to do. Also,when you put the tensioner in. Bolt it just tight enough to hold it in place,then install the belt,then take a screwdriver and push the tensioner as tight as you can and tighten the bolts,then pill the pin.
back ... aligned the key to six o'clock and all the single marks to the marks on the housing and the double marks to each other. then I turned the motor by hand and the marks after seven turns haven't realigned is this cause for conseren?
It is a fours stroke engine. You have to turn it 8 times if you want them to line e up. the lines on the belt won't line up again,but all the timing marks should
Guess that i bothered me a bit.. so I am going re due the timing belt. take it off and start over just to be sure. reading the answers already received should do it
Well,like I said,if you need more just holler!
Back .. Just was unsure of it all so tore it down to start again .. with all the previous answers i am on the right path to get this thing running????
Yes, you get the timing marks lined up.Get the tensioner on it tight and light it off. It should fire up for you. It is ok to rotate the engine by hand to make sure the valves and pistons don't hit. When you rotate it,go 4 rotations and stop with the crank XXXXX XXXXXned up with the mark on the oil pump. The cams should be in the right position at that time.
when i let the tension pin out the bottom right cam moves back one click.. think I have it now as i kept tenison with my hand under the belt so no slack to either side of the cams. going to rotate it four times and then hit the key.
ok! Let me know how it goes!!
runs with a miss tho??
That is likely the bent valve I warned you about. Pull the plug wires one at a time. If you pull it and the car runs rougher, plug it back in and go to the next. When you get to the one that doesn't affect the running, take the plug out and do a compression test. It will likely be low.
ok i let run long and its seemingly leveling out,,,, doesn't lug in gear....
Drive her a bit and see how it goes. It might just be loaded up because you were trying to start it out of time.
maybe but your advice about the valves may be correct as it was driven many miles before we knew what the problem was.. tho there are a lot of Subaru's around here the mechanics will not touch a timing belt...have to reasemble it and will let you know how it drives.. when do u leave and when do you return tomorrow.. thanks a bunch.
I usually sign off about 10 pm eastern time and then I am back on about 7 am.
I told you we could get her running!!
lol....well I am a old drywaller and am learning new tricks has our work has dried up I do light mechanical work now and drive bus with a occasional drywall or carpentry job..
Well the 2.5 DOHC is a tough one to learn on!