Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Subaru: I changed the water pump..timing

Customer Question
I changed the water pump...
I changed the water pump on a subaru 93 legasey, now it will not start. could it be the timing? if so how do I correct the problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Subaru
6/27/2010
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 8 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Carguy1 :

Hi there! This can be a timing issue. Was the keyway on the crank pointed at 3 or 6 o'clock position when you put it back together?

Customer:

no more like 10:30 11

Carguy1 :

The woodruff key on the crank, not the timing mark?

Customer:

that is correct.

Carguy1 :

Ok, The key has to be at the 6 o'clock position to start, then the cams up at 12 and lined up. Also, you have to match the marks on the belt. Did you use a new belt?

Carguy1 :

Did you reuse the original timing belt?

Customer:

No , same belt. did not take notice of the cams as i did not have to remove sprockets. the woodruff key was on the main shaft pully.It was faceing about 11:00 when I pulled it.

Customer:

Did not notice any marks on belt!

Carguy1 :

Ok, you need to rotate the crank so it is at 6. Then line up the cams to the diagrams I am going to send to you. Count the teeth on the belt,this is also in the diagram. Once you have everything lined up it will start

Carguy1 :

Yeah, no marks because it is the old belt, they wear off

Carguy1 :

Full Size Image

Customer:

when I take off timeing belt I took off hydro tensioner too. I had a hard time putting the belt back on. Is there easier way?

Carguy1 :

Full Size Image

Carguy1 :

Yes, you have to compress the tensioner and put a pin in it to hold it compressed, then after you get the belt on and line everything up you pull the pin.

Customer:

I did that and still had a hard time. I think that is where I tuned the cams by mistacke.

Carguy1 :

It is a bit of a struggle,but if the crank was off it wouldn't matter any how. You can try taking the lower idler pulley off, run the belt and tensioner. Then before you pull the pin on the tensioner, put the pully back on and then pull the pin. The older style like you have is a pain in the a##

Carguy1 :

you get the belt lined up and the car will run for you ok

Customer:

Thank you will go give it a try and let you know!!

Carguy1 :

ok, sounds like a plan and good luck to you!

Carguy1 :

You let me know if you need further assistance!

Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.

Thank you !

Your advice solved the problem!

Car is running fine now1

Hope I dont need you again but will not forget you !

I know who I will I will call next time I am in trouble.

Great news man!!!! Told you we could make it better!!!
Thanks for the accept as well :)