Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

2003 Baja: belt..bolt..a nut came off and the pulley..timing cover…

Customer Question
My A/C belt shredded this...
My A/C belt shredded this afternoon on 2003 Baja. It look likes the idler pulley bolt? sheared or a nut came off and the pulley is now pressing into the timing cover. Any risk to timing belt? What parts would I need to replace/repair the a/c belt/pulley?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Subaru
6/27/2010
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 8 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
GreetingsCustomerand welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
Has there been work done to the car? Timing belt replaced or the a/c belt replaced by chance?
just bought the car used yesterday (belt broke on after about 350 miles driving it home) so not sure. Car has 121000 miles. I have a 90 day powertrain warranty so can risk a few weks on the timing belt if it appears that there is no additional risk to it due to the pulley. It looks to me like the "bolt" that holds the idler pulley to the pulley mount either sheared or a nut came off (I can't tell which sied the head was originally on and can't find schematics). That happened while driving and when it did, the belt shredded. When I pulled over to look, the belt was in several pieces, and the pulley was no longer in alighnment with crankshaft or a/c compressor pulleys. The idler was actually pressed into the cover for the timing belt (that's what the O'Reilly parts guy told me) and it looks like the a/c belt cut into the cover while shredding.

The car drove fine another 250 miles, except for no air. I think I can replace the a/c belt myself, and possibly the idler pulley, but do not know if I should go ahead and take ti to a mechanic to get on into the timing belt or not

Also, I can find the pulleys onine and in parts stores, but do not see any that come already with the "bolt." Not sure how that works..
ok, I have seen the belt go into the timing cover and think you will be fine. I believe to get the idler pulley and the bolt, you will need to locate it at the dealer. The bolt will be a separate part and at the dealership every part has a number. Any washers or the nut will all have their own part number.
This is likely something you can repair on your own. You just take the whole bracket off and replace the pulley and bolt and then put it all back on the engine.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Thank you so much. We have already removed the pulley and arm and can get those parts!
Excellent news!!!
Thank you for the accept!