Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

subaru: old car..dealership says..reprogram my keys..order a new part…

Customer Question
i used a key to...
i used a key to my old car on my new subaru and it caused the car to go into an immobilization mode. the dealership says they have to reprogram my keys and they have to order a new part. what part is it that they need to order and why?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Subaru
6/27/2010
Subaru Mechanic: wrxteck, Subaru Technician replied 8 years ago
wrxteck
wrxteck, Subaru Technician
Hello....yes the keys need to be reprogrammed....i don't see what they would need to order....If the body controller is faulty you would be getting new keys as well.....Are you paying for this part they are ordering?? If so, then i suggest you ask them what it is and why they are changing it.....
They said the car is stuck in phase 2. Im not sure what that means and they just keep repeating that to me. I dont believe that im getting new keys, but they said the modular is damanaged and they need to replace it because their computer is not communicating with my security system. Maybe you can explain this a little better because i think the dealership isjust try to rip me off and pull a fast one.
I have never heard that term before...is the security system a subaru security system or aftremarket??
the dealership has said that there are 2 pieces to the immobilizer and that they have to order a new immobilizer because their computer can not communicate with the current system so they have to replace it.