Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

2005 subaru baja: Turbo..stalling..78 degrees, especially when ac on…

Customer Question
2005 Suburu Baja, Turbo Model...
2005 Suburu Baja, Turbo Model. Customer complains that when the ambient temp climbs, vehicle is stalling. Anything over 78 degrees, especially when AC on. This problem has been going on since new. It now has 59K.
Noticed engine is rough running. We did 60K service with new plugs. Did find that the plugs on left bank cylinder head we white tipped compared to right bank.
Scanner-NO CODES
Test drove 5 miles, outside temp 85 degrees, no problems.
Did notice outside temp display was showing 77 degrees when it was way hotter then that, which shouldn't make a difference.
What should I start with? The customer wants to sell this vehicle. Thanks! Chad
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Subaru
6/25/2010
Subaru Mechanic: Jan Andersson, ASE Master technician replied 8 years ago
Jan Andersson
Jan Andersson, ASE Master technician

I would think the outside air temp sender is not the one that teh computer reads for mixture adjustment, but in theory if it were, the mixture would be off.

Use a scanner to see what the Intake Air Temperature is, and see if it makes any sense. (engine bay air is hotter than ambient). Also see what the O2 sensors are showing, as well as fuel trims.

I just serviced a car that showed a "lean mixture" code, but teh exhaust was black and smelled rich. Bad O2 sensor made the computer think it wqas lean and it pegged the fuel trims, trying to feed it more and more fuel. The fuel trims could tell you something, together with the O2 readings. Just a suggestion.