Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

94 subaru legacy: last night on the highway..slow..car started…

Customer Question
My 94 subuaru legacy died...
My 94 subuaru legacy died last night on the highway. I was doing about 75 in the slow lane when the car started decellerating. I tried the gas, got nothing, and pulled over. I turned the car off and tried to restart it and got nothing. No turn over. Nothing. The oil light had been flashing for a day or two and I truly believe that I may have an oil leak because I just put oil in it a month ago, which is part of the reason I didn't add more. The car is also regularly driven on dirt roads so I think the high amounts of dirt and sediment may have played a part in my engine seizing (thats my assumption at least). What should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Subaru
6/18/2010
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 8 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
How low on oil was the engine?
Almost out if not out
Well, I would have to say that the lack of oil would be the reason for the engine seizing. The dirt roads aren't a factor as the air filter will keep the dirt out of the engine.
It is possible there was an oil leak or that the engine was using the oil. At this point I would say you will need to find a used engine to put in the car or rebuild the one you have.Based on the year of the car, you may just want to invest the money into a newer car.
Hope this answers your question! If not,please reply!