Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

2003 subaru outback: 3.0at highway speeds it has a misfire..000 miles…

Customer Question
I have a 2003 subaru...
I have a 2003 subaru outback H6-3.0
at highway speeds it has a misfire,I tried a set of plugs but it is still there,it has 100,000 miles on it and is in good shape other then this,
Can you help me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/14/2010
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 8 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

IS the check engine light coming on when it misses?

no check engine light

Ok, this is likely going to require some tools you may not have. I have personally seen the O2 sensors cause this problem as well as carbon buildup on the valves. You need a scan tool to watch the sensors while the problem is occuring, and a leak down tester to check the valves. A simple compression test won't pick this up because the leak from the carbon on the valve train only creates a very small leak.This however causes the misfire.

I would start with a couple of can of injector cleaner and some higher octane fuel to try and clean the valves. If this doesn't work, then I would have the leak down test done to determine if it is a valve issue or not.If it is, then the car will need a valve job to repair the issue.

Hope this helps!

I am a Corvette mechanic at a Corvette shop, I should have the tools to do it,you dont think that it could be just a bad coil?

It is not likely without the check engine light. You will normally get a code pretty quick if a coil is shorting out.

You can watch the front a/f sensors then with a scanner and make sure they are functioning properly as well. They don't normally set a code unless it is a lean or rich mixture code.

Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
ok,thanks for your help,
I will try that tomorrow at the shop and see what I find,
thank you!
Eddie witt

You are very welcome and thank you for the accept!