Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

subaru impreza: it wont turn over..test light..fuel pump relay..crank

Customer Question
i have a subaru impreza...
i have a subaru impreza 04 and it wont turn over. the test light gets power at the computer and at the fuel pump relay but not before the box before the fuel pump. it is trying to crank over but it doesnt we checked relays and fuel pump works.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Subaru
10/7/2009
Subaru Mechanic: Amedee, Subaru Technician replied 8 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Subaru Technician

Hello!

SO you are saying that the fuel pump relay does not engage?

DO we have power to the fuel pump relay?

i have power from the computer to the relay but no power from the box before the fuel pump to the pump itself. we checked the fuel pump and it does work. what should we do if we dont have power to the fuel pump relay and what should we do if it does not engage. it does seem like it wants to start but wont.

Ok...

I am going to pull a wiring diagram for you. WHat year is your vehicle? At first you said it was a 04 but then at the bottom of the post you said its a 1994.

Let me know and I will get you a wiring diagram.

THanks!

thats my mistake it is a 1994

Ok...

Lets check for power at the fuel pump relay. Turn the key on and check to see how many wires have power at the fuel pump relay. Let me know!

ok it has power all the way to a little blk box that holds all the wires before the fuel pump. and now the car isnt getting a spark

SO we are positive there is no spark and fuel pressure?

Does the check engine light come on with the key in the on position?

no it doesnt read anything
No... does the check engine light come on with the key in the on position?
im sorry it does come on but the computer aint reading anything

Ok...

THis makes sense. THe computer does not read anything and the check engine light is not coming on with the key turned on. THis tells me that the computer is not even waking up. You are not going to have spark and fuel because your computer is not even awake. I would recommend to start by checking all fuses inside the vehicle as well as under the hood. If all check out good, then we will need ot check for power going into the computer.

fuses are all good. they have been checked. can you tell if there is power going into the computer what should i check for next? and if there isnt power then what? thank you for all your help.

We will need to get access to the computer and check for power with a voltmeter.

Pull the computer out and check for power on the wires goign to into the computer.

WHen you get this far, let me know!

ok well im leaving on vacation my first one since i left for iraq when i get back i will shot you a line to tell you what happens thank you so much your very knowlegdable

SOunds good!

Please let me know!

Also, don't forget to hit the accept button so that I may receive my credit for my time that I have spend with you thus far. We can still continue our conversation.

Amedee
Amedee, Subaru Technician
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Subaru Technician