Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Can I use a 13 lb, 4 inch phlange steel I beam to support a…

Customer Question
Can I use a...

Can I use a 13 lb, 4 inch phlange steel I beam to support a ceiling and roof load (first floor, there is no second story, I estimate the roof to weigh approx.1500 lbs spread over approx 1000 square feet of surface) ) on a 13 foot width of wall? We want to support the roof above large picture windows.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
3/31/2018
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 3 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
Hi
Is it an 8” deep I beam?
No, it’s 4 inches 13# ***** foot
1000 sq ft of roof should have 3500 pounds uniformly distributed as a minimum
will a 4 x 13 steel I-beam support the load on a stretch of 14 feet wide? We’re trying to support the roof on top of large glass
It works for strength, but deflection is higher than desirable for supporting glass
I would recommend W5x16

Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.