Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Can I make a beam to support a light roof by putting 3

Customer Question
Can I make a...

Can I make a beam to support a light roof by putting 3 2x12's together over a span of 20 ft.?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

I want to build a 40 ft. wide by 24 ft. deep cover on the back of my garage to park some equipment under. I want to set 2x12's on a beam at the 12' mark, and then go the other 12 ft. and set them on a beam as well. I would rather not buy a lam beam, but put 3 2x12's together to make the beam, and support it on the ends and in the middle of the 40' span.

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

Not that I know of. it will just be holding light corrugated roofing, and the rafters will be 24" apart.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
3/26/2018
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 3 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help
Do you have any pictures of a sketch you can share?
Not yet. I am building a flat roofed lean to against the back of my garage. Just want to go out 24'. Will make it the same width as the garage, 40'. Will not have any live load, just corrugated metal roofing with no plywood backing. I know I should use 2x12's to span each 20', just want to know if, instead of a beam, I can put two or three 2x12's together to make a beam.
Hello?

unfortunately three 2x12 will not span 20' supporting 12' long roof members. You will need a glulam or lvl.

What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading?