Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I am selling muy house and the home inspector says the main…

I am selling muy...

I am selling muy house and the home inspector says the main support beam in the house ha cracks running the length of the beam. i think theyve been there for decades. The beams are 100 years old. But its the main beam and the inspector who is not an engineer says it needs to be supported/repaired along with a couple joists attached. I'm trying to get an iea on price to have an engineer come in and fix.

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

Basement is bone dry, it's a rebuild so half the house was built in 1999. Woord hardwood floors. Inspector said downstairs floor above the beam and joists is slightly uneven. It's in northern virgina, average moisture and humidity. Main beam rests of a concrete/stone column, on a pured concrete floor.

3/25/2018
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help

Do you have any pictures you can share with me?

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files.

From the pictures you shared, I would call that "checking", not necessarily cracking. Checking us usuallu not a problem structurally.

A definition of Checking is, "A "Check" is a long crack that appears as the sap wood of a timber shrinks around the heart wood over time. Checking is not a structural problem, and usually occurs only on one or two sides of a beam."

Does your checking meet the definition above?

it does.

Here is a link to a site that is really good and it discusses the subject:

http://www.woodscienceconsulting.com/wood-science-consulting-blog-/2015/7/30/checks-and-splits

A general price for an engineer to come out and look would be in the $150 per hour range.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, please click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Thanks it’s part of a home inspection so the buyers will be picking the cost up. Very good service thanks.

Good Luck with your sale!