Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Does a slab for terrace need foundations? Slab for terrace…

Does a slab for terrace...
Does a slab for terrace need foundations? Slab for terrace on garden level which will be integrated to main slab of house, house required deep foundation due to trees proximity, would the slab for terrace need foundations (since wont be taking walls / structure load apart from slab itself) (clay ground- UK)
3/24/2018
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help

Do you have any pictures you can share with me?

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files.

If you do not have any specific pictures of your property, you could look on the internet and send me pictures of similar configuration

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thanks
Pictures of what?
I'll see when in front of pc
Do attachments become public too?
Thanks

Pictures of a similar terrace slab off of a similar house like yours.

Pictures do become public, so if you can find generic images online, that would be fine with me.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I attached a drawing, you can see a the living room opening up to the terrace, the living room has a slab of 200mm laying on hardcore. The intention is for the slab of the terrace to continue the living room, can i simply extend the terrace slab with the same detail (adding a thicker hardcore as garden is currently lower) ?

Thank you for the drawing.

You most definitely can extend the 200 mm thick slab onto the terrace with the same detail as the house slab. That would be more than adequate.

You would not need any additional foundation.

You will just want to make sure the new terrace slab is on a compacted subgrade.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, please click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any more questions

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
34;You will just want to make sure the new terrace slab is on a compacted subgrade"
You mean there is no risk if there are nearby roots of trees? why is there a need then for extra deep foundations near roots when building extensions ? is the risk only for walls as oppose to slabs?

I am sorry, I missed you statement about "tree proximity". Tree roots can be a problem and cause damage. It is never a good idea to pour a concrete slab over significant size tree roots. In general, it is best to remove the tree roots in the vicinity, but then there is the problem of the root removal killing the trees. If you go with a deepened footing in locations, you will still have to cut through the roots and chance killing the trees associated with them.

1. What size trees do you have and how close are they to this proposed slab?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
There are no suspected roots below, trees have been cut and where fairly small ones 20cm diameter and 6-8 meter height. so not worried about killing the trees but looking for way to avoid deep foundations just for terrace

If there are no live tree roots, there is no need for a deepened foundation just for a terrace slab that will not be supporting any kind of structure.

Hope this helps.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Sorry, whilst there are no live tree roots, my understanding is that trees which where recently removed can still cause movement in the ground, is it your opinion that this movement can be A.Ignored. B. Require stronger slab C.Require foundations?

Standard practice when building a home or structure is to remove any organic material that is in the fill or ground underneath where you are building. Organic material will decompose over time and can leave voids in the earth where settlement could possibly occur. Off course it all depends on the size of the organic material. For example, if you leave a large tree stump in the ground and put some fill over it and them build on top of it, that stump will decompose over time and will create a void where settlement can occur. If you have small roots under a 200 mm thick concrete slab, I would not be too worried, as long as the roots are not part of a live tree.

walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Good Luck with your project!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thanks

You are welcome.

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant