Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

What size concrete beam do I need for a room with a sixteen…

What size concrete beam...

What size concrete beam do I need for a room with a sixteen foot span

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

I need to support a concrete floor

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

Room is just supporting just a couch and a couple of chair

3/23/2018
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help
Is this in a residence?

You have a concrete floor in a residence that is not a slab on grade? What is the span of the beam?

What is the slab thickness? What is the slab span on each side of the beam?

Will it support that one floor only or is there a bearing wall above it?

A suspened floor 17 foot between the supporting walls floor is 6 inch thick floor part of a main floor of the house
No there is no supporting wall

I can give you the beam size here. I can design the reinforcement for shear and bending as a premium service.

Is 17' the span of the beam or the span of the slab perpendicular to the beam?

17 foot is the span of the beam

What is the span of the slab perpendicular to the beam?

I don't see a beam formed in that picture. Only CMU walls with a flat bottom form for the slab

Correct I just need to spec a beam for the span so I can form it

The picture still doesn't tell me the slab span perpendicular to the beam on each side.

I still need a real dimension. The pictures, as helpful as they are, do not provide dimensions.

The room is 16x22 feet what other dimensions you need
Walls are 12 inch and 10 inch outside wall concrete filled

You can plan for a 13" deep x 10" wide concrete beam. Let me know if you want me to submit a premium service offer to design the reinforcement and provide a sketch.

What is the premium service how does that work

It's for something beyond a basic question. I would submit the offer for you to consider, detailing what I would provide. Then you would have the opportunity to accept it or not.

Ok got it what is your offer

I submitted the offer. If you accept it, I'll need a couple hours to get everything together.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Thank you for accepting the offer. Do you still want the same size concrete beam?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4emg4mzvy7t45wu/Concrete%20Beam%20Section.pdf