Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I'm in the process of buying a house. There are two upstairs…

I'm in the process...

I'm in the process of buying a house. There are two upstairs bedrooms in one corner of the house (approx. 100-120 SF each). These rooms span the length of the family room, which is below. Each room essentially is held up by load bearing walls on three sides. There's a non-load-bearing wall between them. There is an old, loose aluminum frame windows in each room. Now that some of the furniture is removed, I noticed that when I walk in the rooms, the windows rattle quite a bit. If I bounce up and down in either room, the windows in both rooms rattle. The non-load bearing wall between them also has some slight movement when I push on it. Also, when I push on it, windows in both rooms rattle. If I hold the window so that it doesn't rattle, and bounce up and down, the floor feels pretty solid, other than the floor boards are only nailed down, so they make some noise. From below, I can hear the floors making noise, but notice no movement on the ceiling or walls below when weight is shifted in the rooms. All load bearing walls feel solid when I push on them. The house is in Southern California. It's 50 years old, 2 stories, concrete slab foundation. Wood frame. Stucco. I took a few videos I can share as well of the issue. I'm curious if this seems fairly normal or if it's something I should have investigated further by a contractor or engineer before we close. Our inspector was fairly thorough, but did not notice issues in these rooms when he walked through with furniture in them. The house is a cosmetic fixer and we can afford to have some of the floor framing replaced if necessary, but we want to avoid major structural work. Note - the seller's contractor doing the termite work (replacing various wood on the house) said he is confident that there is no rot in any of the structure in the house and says the movement is normal due to the age of the house. I'm looking for another opinion in regard to whether or not this should be addressed or if it's pretty normal. Also trying to get some confidence in regard to the safety of the situation.

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

Here are the videos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/RydZE2UdNFpiMyWs1

3/22/2018
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
Hello.
No need for a phone call. I'm at work, so it will be hard to talk on the phone.
Give me a bit to read through this completely
Sure. Thanks!

The rattling is a function of wood framed floors and old windows. Wood framed floors, especially in older homes, often have susceptibility to walking vibrations because they're light, have little damping, and are not very stiff. the impact of the footfall or bouncing forces a free vibration of the floor system and without damping or mass, the vibrations are higher than desired. That, coupled with old aluminum windows is the likely culprit. If you aren't noticing distress to the structure, then it is likely just a serviceability issue and not a structural concern.

With that said, there are things you can do, but it's not inexpensive.

Thanks a lot for the detailed analysis. We'll be doing a pretty extensive renovation and will have the floor boards up to glue and screw them. Anything we should look for in the floor framing while they're up to confirm that everything is good/safe? Also - moving forward, are the types of floor frames described fairly reliable, or should is there something we can/should do to extend their life?Thanks,Mike

I would consider sistering the joists while you have the floor boards up and screw the boards down. That will stiffen the floor.

No problem. I'm happy to help. Good luck with your project.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Thanks!!