Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I want to build a 20' bridge 7' wide that will support

Hi I want to...

Hi I want to build a 20' bridge 7' wide that will support 4000lbs (horse and rider, ATV's, and ideally small tractor with implement). Hoping to use 2x12x20' #2 fir to make the span as they are readily available here and fairly inexpensive. Unless you know of a less expensive option.

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

Don't think so. Planning to address wood to ground contact by securing on top of railroad ties on each end of the span

3/22/2018
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
hello
What would you use as the decking/walking surface?
1/2" thick rubber stall mat material which holds up well to horse shoes, and is non slip over whatever system of cross members and planks i need to be safe . Rubber matting will be 600lbs to cover entire 20' (120lbs/ 4x8 sheet).
Over what? What is spanning between the 20’ 2x12s?
Was hoping to use 4- 2x12x20's spaced 2' apart, then fasten same 2x12 perpendicular across all 4 "beams" Plenty strong for walking across i think, but then I started wondering about riding horses across it (under 2000lbs) then tractors...
The rubber would then be fastened to the 2x12 "planks that make up the flat bridge deck
Unfortunately, that’s not close to working for a pedestrian bridge load and even worse with a 6000 pound load
That's exactly what i've been trying to find out. Would it be easier if I call to discuss? I'm looking for a correct solution v.s. trial and error...
Not sure on specifications, but this is a private bridge on my property, strictly for my use. I want to make it narrow enough that no one can even attempt to drive a car or truck over it, but it would be nice to get my tractor across, which has less than a 6' span to the outside of the tires...
I will submit an offer for a phone call
I can call in about 20 minutes
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
perfect, talk to you then.
Please send your number

It was nice to talk to you. Good luck with your project.