Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

How much load can a steel I beam hold. It is 3" wide by

How much load can...

How much load can a steel I beam hold. It is 3" wide by 6"tall 1/4 thick and 20 'long

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

A second story

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

The second floor is only part of the beam just under half

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it as strong has a 4*12* 20 lvl beam
3/19/2018
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Do you have any pictures you can share with me?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not now. It's late here
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My mistake the span is Only 16 feet

Are you going to purchase theses steel beams or do you have them already?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is the biggest beam that will fit in the space as a flush mount
I will purchase when I am sure it will support the load

From your pictures, what will it be replacing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to open the space, get ride of the load bearing wall

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have an asphalt roof, no basemant, one story, joist are 16 on center 13 feet long
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No snow

So it would be like a New Beam #2 in my sketch?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Roof is not bearing on this wall only bonus room
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
More like new beam #3
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There only one bonus room above the garage

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Ok, hold on while I run a few numbers for a 16' clear span steel beam that will support your bonus room. The floor joists span 13' off of each side of the proposed beam. I will see if a 6" deep steel beam can work.

You can use a W6x25 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 16’ clear span beam. The beam is 6.125” wide and 6.375” deep. It weighs 25 pounds per foot of beam length.

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

You could also use a W8x21 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 16’ clear span beam. The beam is 5.25” wide and 8.25” deep. It weighs 21 pounds per foot of beam length.

walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How is the conversion for ksi. Yes you have very helpfully, and I plan on getting an pro to eval.

I assumed you would purchase 50 ksi steel beams, that is the most common. You can also purchase 36 ksi steel, but the size may be a bit larger

Good Luck with your project!

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant