Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I'm getting ready to present the plan for adding an addition…

I'm getting ready to present...
I'm getting ready to present the plan for adding an addition onto my cabin and wondering if an engineer on this site can sign off on the plan or if I have to do that with a local engineer? I can send you the plan in .pdf form if that helps. Thanks so much! Rob
3/18/2018
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello.
We can review, but we can’t stamp anything through this site
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. Here's the latest plan for your review (still making a few minor changes/additions, but the basic plan is there.) Just let me know if you see anything which needs addressing. Thanks so much!

Is this something that we've looked at before?

Let me take a look at it. I will let you know if I need to submit a premium service or not.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before heading up to San Juan County to present the plan to the building department for the permit.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good! Thanks so much.

Understood. Do you want me to review all of the structural information shown? And make notes about information that I think is missing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please, but I'm primarily interested in the foundation part...that is what the County is concerned with in terms of the engineering approval. Hopefully, anything you catch now will save me when I present to the County.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I were pouring a concrete wall foundation (extremely difficult to get that much concrete TO the island in a timely manner as it isn't served by the Washington State Ferry System) I wouldn't even be required to get an engineer's approval. The only reason is because the pier and beam foundation is non traditional (even though it is used all over the islands up there.)

Ok. I'm going to submit a premium service offer to review all of the foundation and first floor framing information - pretty much everything shown on the foundation plan. Do you know what allowable bearing pressure was used as the basis of design?

I submitted the offer for you to consider. If you accept, I will need a few hours to go through everything. If you are unsure of the basis of the foundation design (what allowable soil bearing pressure was used), I will assume the minimum out of the IRC.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's a bit more than I want to spend since I will still have to have a structural engineer here review the plan anyway to get the stamp. Thanks anyway and I appreciate your help!
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant