Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have a two-story Cape 1100 square feet on the ground

Customer Question
I have a two-story...

I have a two-story Cape Cod 1100 square feet on the ground floor. The living room load-bearing beam needs to be repaired. It needs to be raised about a quarter to three quarters of an inch. Is there a formula I can use when jacking up a floor?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

I plan on using thick cement blocks 4 the Jacks to rest on end 6x6 wooden beams running parallel to the existing load-bearing beam that runs perpendicular to floor joist. The area is localized to about 8 feet. I have 2 6x6 Beams I was going to use to raise the area, totaling 4, 18 ton floor jacks. From the research that I did it it usually shows two jack, but I feel like mor is safer. The crawl space is under 3 ft, House was built in 1944.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
3/17/2018
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 4 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
I can help
Are you going to be lifting it from below? Actually lifting a beam?

Yes. This picture is very similar to my house. There are are cement blocks about 6 feet apart, supporting the beam when I purchased the house. The beam in my house has some rot and, my plan is to clean out the rot, fill and sandwich with two new pieces of wood about 12ft long, connecting them with long bolts/washers/nuts.p possibly using 2x10s.Sagging floor

I would always use a jack on each side of each support as a minimum. Possibly add a jack in the middle of each support, too. This piers look quite makeshift.

What other information do you need? Is it good to use the 4 foot 6x6 as opposed to one 8foot beam? I though they might be easier to handle. Would that be good?

Why do you need a beam at all? Why would you not jack up the beam that’s in your crawlspace? I’m not following exactly what your question is

That would be easier to do than using the beams. I wasn't sure if I should since I was going to repair it. Is there a recommended distance between the jacks. For example if I used three should they be a maximum distance in feet apart? I don't mind using more jacks, if it will be more stable.

It depends on the load above the beam. But if you have supports at 6 feet on center and you put a jack on each side of each support and one in the middle of each beam, that’s essentially a jack at 3 feet on center. That’s plenty