Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Can you please help me with number of posts I need under a…

Customer Question
Can you please help...

Can you please help me with number of posts I need under a 5x10x20 ledger I am attaching the beam to a cantoliver . I can't drop header like traditional main beam cause I have patio under existing deck . New deck is going to be 20x14 second beam can be dropped also 5x10x20 rough cut pressure treated . Mill told me that the beam specs are 1350lbs per ft. I have two double hung windows under cantoliver I want to convert to doors for a walk out patio . I was wondering if I could have only two 5x5 post's on flush header 5x10x20 attached to the cantoliver so I don't have any obstruction to proposed door's. Thank you ******* sorry long winded lol

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

I believe that is a good description of my situation.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Plan on using 2x10 x14 rough cut pressure treated joists . For desired look when using patio under deck.
3/15/2018
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 5 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
Hello did you review my initial question .
That sounds like a beam, not a ledger.
Correct it is a beam I used term ledger because I need to attach it to the cantoliver on my home .

How are you attaching a cantilever to this beam? Can you post a sketch?