Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I just had a quick question. I need to support floor joists…

Customer Question
Hello, I just had a...
Hello, I just had a quick question. I need to support floor joists that have a span of 26ft and the beam span is 18ft. There is an existing S8x 18.4 beam with a center supporting post. I would like to remove that supporting post, can I fill the web with two 2x8s on each side bolted through and then add a 2x10s with 3/4in plywood beam and take out the support post.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
I was actually just thinking a little bit deeper how about I filled web with a 2x8 and 1/2 ply on each side then add a 2x10 to each side of the steel beam and bolt all of it together. So it would be 2x10, 1/2ply 2x8, steel beam web, 2x8, 1/2ply and 2x10 sandwich. Hope that makes sense.. hahaha
3/13/2018
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 4 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help
It makes sense, but, unfortunately, the steel is so much stiffer than the wood, it will not attract any load. I can check the beam for you to remove the post.
Will it support one floor or two? What about an attic?
Just one floor. Just holding the floor joists.
One more thing I can not come down any further than 10in for headroom. Also the headers I was looking to copy somewhat are on betterheader.com
I would like to keep the beam if possible and just add you to it if possible. I'm a 4th generation Carpenter and general contractor just need someone to kind of go over my calculations if you know what I mean. I've also seen where they have added steel to strengthen as well, I can't attach a pic but if you go to https://gfestructures.wordpress.com/2013/03/02/steel-construction-how-to-strenghthen-an-existing-support-beam/

The strengthening shown in that link is for very minor levels of overstress. It's not doubling the span. You can still do it by reinforcing, but it's a little more involved that that simple solution.

Just noticed I put S8x18.4 it's actually a W8x10 beam. I was looking at the wrong note.

I will check the beam as this question.

Unfortunately, the beam is not close to working as-is for the 18' span.

If you want the reinforcement designed, I can do that as a premium service. Just let me know if you want me to submit the offer.

What would the premium service run?

I'm not allowed to discuss cost in the chat. I can submit the offer for you to consider. If you accept the offer, I will provide sketches showing the type and size of reinforcement as well as the weld size, length, and spacing. I will need a few hours to do the analysis and put the sketches together.