Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I need to put in a Ibeam in a 2 story house what kind of…

Customer Question
I need to put...

I need to put in a Ibeam in a 2 story house what kind of support do I need to do in basement . Caseings ? Under jacks the beam will be 34' and support 2nd level from crawl space

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

No idk I don't think so

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Structural Engineering
3/13/2018
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 1 month ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What size beam
I can size the I beam only for this question. What is the beam span? What is the joist length on each side? Will it support any ceramic tile?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No tile and 35' long 6"wide
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I need to put in casings in dirt crawl space and how far down do I dig for those
I can size the beam for what you want. If you want to clear span then I will size the beam for that. I will only provide one answer here. Beam size or how to do the posts. Not answer multiple questions in one thread
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do you mean by clear span?
Spanning the full 35’ with supports at the ends only
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it will be supporting load bearing wall area that was removed by previous contractor who did not know.what he was doing
Ok. So how far will it span?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
33'
that is clear spanning? No?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How thick should I-beam be
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it will be supporting load bearing weight of second floor
What is the beam supporting?
How many floors?
An attic?
Joist length on each side of the beam?
Is it supporting any ceramic tile?
What does supporting the second floor have to do with the idea of it clear spanning or not?What is your role in this project?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is a converted attic to living space no bathroom. joist length is 25'. No tile
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Supporting converted attic and roof
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Contractor
What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading?Again, do you want the beam to clear span the 34’ with supports at the ends only?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand now I will put in 2 supports between ends so r supports all together Pueblo Colorado
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry 4 supports all together
Thank you. I will size it now
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ty
You can plan for a W6x20 or W8x15 ASTM A992 Gr. 50. Not will need to be braces against lateral torsional bucklingvalong their span.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is the span between lateral torsional braces?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I use ASTM 572 gr8. 50
That is atypical for steel WF, but yes
The lateral bracing can be accomplished with proper detailing of joist connections

Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What would be the peooee detailing at joist connections

Can you say that again?

StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant