Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I am building a 3 car garage. The second floor will

Customer Question
I am building a...

I am building a 3 car garage. The second floor will cataliver over the garage by 3 feet. I have to com in 3 feet because of the encroachment regulation. The garage will be 20 deep and 39.5 wide. My problem is how do I support the load from above. My spances are 18 feet and 9 feet.

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

Its new

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
The second floor is offset by 3 feet on the south side. That is why the second floor catalievers the north side by 3 feet. That means I have to use large beams to be use as LOAD bearing. The 2nd floor is 20 deep and 39.5 wide (800 sf). I will have a hip roof above the apartment. (2 bedroom/1 bath) kitchen...dining...living room.
3/13/2018
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 3 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help
Not sure of your response...I can help?
The first floor is the garage. Second floor is off set by 3 feet so the front catalievers over the garavmge by 3 feet.Hwhat size and direction do I run the floor hoist. What size beams do I need. 6x16?garage header?
I will call tomorrow.
Would you not just cantilever the joists over the exterior wall?
I will sign on tomorrow when I have free time....thx
We will talk then
Ok
Can you do the structural CALCS For foundation...Shearwall...call out beam size and detail design?
Call out re bar size and placement w concrete footing depth and width.?.??
I can do all that, but it would be a premium service offer for that. I can’t stamp anything through this website
About how much would it cost me. I can do all the plans but it requires the CALCS supported by diagrams and your WET STAMP.....ITS A 3 CAR GARAGE W AN APARTMENT ABOVE 790 SQ. FT.
Please see above where I said I can’t stamp anything through this site
Ok....thanks....
What size beam do I need are a load bearing beam to support a 40 foot span...Would a lol work?
The span is 40 ft and needs to support a second floor and roof.
It will be placed under 2 x12 floor joists in the garage.
How do I support a 40ft lvl?
Can I used a simpson strong wall to support the center...or his posts with hold downs???
You would support them with properly sized posts and footings
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 2 months ago

Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.