Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I am looking at buying some land to build a home. I have a…

I am looking at buying...
I am looking at buying some land to build a home. I have a few questions:1) The home is buy the ocean - it receives a good deal of wind, despite other buildings in front of it. Any ideas on how to block the wind effectively?2) Some say the land has water under it and a basement may not be possible. Does that sound right? Any way around it?
3/12/2018
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello.
Regarding the wind, you can block it, but you’re still required to design the home to receive the full wind load.Regarding a basement, if you truly have a high water table, it will be critical to have an engineer involved to be sure the house doesn’t float or flood
That’s very helpful. How do I find out what the water table is for a plot of land?I am looking in France but if you know the process in another country, that would be helpful too. Thank you.
No problem. You will need a geotechnical engineer to do test borings to determine the water table
Thank you - any idea how much that would normally cost?Even if I have a high water table - is there a way to build a basement such that it is secure?
There is a way to build a basement with a high water table. It’s usually very expensive, especially for residential construction, but it can be done and MUST be engineered.
The water table study would likely be $800 - $1200
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hi,I am thinking of buying a house (picture attached). It does not have a garden. I was thinking of adding land on top of the driveway, to level off the front and turn it into a front lawn. The driveway would have to be a "tunnel" of sorts. Do you think that is feasible?