Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I'm trying to determine a beam size. I'd like to replace a…

I'm trying to determine...

I'm trying to determine a beam size.

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

I'd like to replace a load bearing wall with an LVL or steal beam. Span is 18' and carried span is 32'. Flat roof, no snow load.

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

Prefere 9.5" max depth of the beam

3/11/2018
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help.
To keep the maximum depth of the beam at 9 1/2 inches, we will have to go with steel. Unless you can introduce a post in the middle of the 18 foot span
What type of roofing will you have?
Foam
You can plan for a W 8 x 21 beam ASTM A992 Gr. 50
You will need to detail the rafter connections to brace the beam against lateral torsional buckling. The beam is 8 inches deep and weighs 21 pounds per foot.
Thanks for your help
No problem. I’m happy to help. Good luck with your project.
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant