Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I found your answer because I am looking for a similar

solution. I want to support...
I found your answer because I am looking for a similar solution. I want to support a single story cabin on a 45 degree slope and do not want a beam that I cannot lift without 2 people. If I am correct from your answer, I can use a steel 6x6 beam every 15 feet and this will handle the weight. Correct ? The cabin would be an octagon and 50' all the way across.
3/9/2018
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help. Thank you for requesting me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Actually what I typed doesn't make sense now because it doesn't have the other info in the answer you gave to someone else.I found your answer because I am looking for a similar solution. I want to support a single story cabin on a 45 degree slope and do not want a beam that I cannot lift without 2 people. If I am correct from your answer, I can use a steel 6x6 beam every 15 feet and this will handle the weight. Correct? The cabin would be an octagon and 50' all the way across.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello ?
Please don’t take answer for one specific condition and think it applies to all similar conditions. Each situation needs to be looked at on its own.
Please provide a sketch of the cabin and why you need to shore it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you get the files ?
There are no files attached
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have tried 3 browsers, safari ( I use mac) , chrome, and firefox and I can get the files to upload so it says it has them, but it wont load to you. I have no idea what else to do ? Here is a link to what it would look like, but on a hill in Missouri. http://www.continentalkithomes.com/pedestal--piling-homes.html

It just came through.

It will be up on stilts like that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
at least part of it. I am just trying to figure out how big of I beams I would need to use to support it. I want to keep them short so I can lift with 2 people.

Understood. The size of the beams will depend a little on how the octagon lays out relative to the beams below. That is a big platform with an octagon on it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Each Octagon corner would have a vertical support and then there would be a middle support or supports depending on how long the horizontal beams could be. Each edge of the octagon is 20'. Does that make sense ?

So you would have a beam directly under each exterior wall of the octagon?

Single story with a roof?

What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just at the points
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Single story with roof. Southern Nevada. no snow

Can you sketch out a plan of the octagon and where you picture the beams? Beams cover a line, not a point. So I want to be sure I'm on the same page as you with the layout.

I know it's clear in your mind, but you have that picture. It's not conveyed as clearly with the words.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Give me just a minute and I will draw it.

That's a 48'-3" long beam. I will assume two additional supports to make the beam have three 16' spans.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if 2 people can move a 16' beam, but that sounds correct. You are right, picture is much easier. ;o)

I'm not sure two people can. The will still be heavy. W10x22 beams, will be 352 pounds each.

Let me try adding a fifth support to make four 12' spans

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Two of us can lift 350 lbs . no problem
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what does a W10 x22 beam look like ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got it, 10" I beam !

Ok, great. It's 10" deep x 5.75" wide and weighs 22 pounds per linear foot.

Going down to a 12' span, makes it W8x18, which is 8" deep x 5.25" wide and weighs 18 pounds per foot. About 215 pounds per 12' section.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is awesome. I am guessing the same could be used for the verticals too ?

For gravity, yes, but the verticals become a lot more important because they keep it stable laterally. So you should really have a full lateral analysis done to size the columns and footings.

I can offer that as a premium service, if you decide you need it at some point.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How much would that cost ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In your opinion, it is better to do with steel than wood ?

I'm not allowed to discuss cost in the chat. I can submit the offer for you to consider. If you accept it, I would need about 3 days to put everything together.

If you're going to use cantilevered columns as the lateral system, it is definitely better with steel.

For the main frame. The house and infill framing can be wood.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please submit the offer

I just submitted the offer. If you accept, I will have a few more questions and need about three days to get everything together. It will include sketches of the connections and footings.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I better hold off until i am a little further along with this plan

No problem. The lateral analysis is something you want to do when you have the footprint nailed down and are confident it won't change.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the info, how do I get you paid

No problem. I'm happy to help. You can click on the button to rate my answer. Good luck with your project.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant