Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have a 12" wide quick brick building with a span of 32'

Customer Question
I have a 12"...

I have a 12" wide quick brick building with a span of 32' and a length of 42' 8". These are outside dimensions. I want to support the roof on the two ends and need to know what size steel beam or beams I need between the ends to support my roof. Can you help me?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

I am situated at an elevation of 6,600 ft. and we get some fairly heavy snows here. I am located in central Utah. I want to run perlings off of my ends to whatever supports I need in the middle. I suppose I would need to know their spacing also. Thank you.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Structural Engineering
3/9/2018
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 1 month ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello.
Is this a flat roof?
What kind of roofing will you have?
What is the city in Utah?
What kind of spacing are you looking at?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I intend to make the roof a 6/12 pitch and run perlings between the front, middle, and back and then use metal sheeting. I also have a 12' wide shed roof running the entire 42' 8", attached to the south side and will also need a beam in between the front and back there also to support the perlings.I am located on Milburn, Utah. I have plans drawn and can take photos and text them to you. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say. It will help you to see what I am wanting to do. If you can give me a cell number, I can shoot those to you quickly. Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm on a real tight budget. I thought that I could get my answers this way and be able to proceed. So, although talking on the phone would be easier I can't expend the funds to do so. I promise not to ever call you if you give me your cell phone number. I'll only use it to text you the 2 pictures of the plan. Is that agreeable to you?
I will need you to sketch a framing plan and show me the member you need sized
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you see the plans that I emailed? I intend to use the quick brick block to the approximate elevation of 16' off of the floor grade. What I have been told by an estimator / engineer locally is that I need 1 support beam in the middle of the structure to run the perlings across to the front and the back. Whether the calcs need 1 or 2, is what I need to detetmine. Thus my consulting you. I also need to know what size perlings and what spacing to run from front to middle to back. I am sending 3 more pics. The pens represent the bean and the toothpicks represent the perlings. Hopefully that will make it clear what I am trying to do.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is no framing with wood being done. It will all be done with reinforced masonry and will bear on the side masonry walls at approximately the 16' level above floor grade.
the steel beam will span 32’ in the middle of the 42’-8” dimension? With purlins spanning about 21’-4” on each side? And how are you doing that with a table roof?
Gable roof
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I intend to embed a steel plate on the 6/12 pitch angles on both the front and the back and attach the perlings to the steel plate and attach them to the middle support beam. Same with the attached shed roof on the south side. Did you get the drawings?
I think the problem has been the terminology. You say beam and purlins, but show ridge beam and rafters.
What is the city in Utah?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You are probably right. My expertise is in structural concrete and I probably don't know the proper terms for roofing structure members. I apologize. I suppose that what goes in the middle is a supporting rafter beam. Again I am located in Milburn, Utah. 15 miles north of Fairview, Utah.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you get the attached pics?
I’m sizing the beam now
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Awsome. Please let me know what reinforcement ( size rebar) I should have vertically in the walls supporting the beam. Thank you.
I can provide that as a premium service or as a newly initiated question. I would need more info
You can plan for a W18x55 to keep deflection to L/360 under a full snow load
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about the shed roof beam? I'm not as concerned about the rebar question. I have overdone everything structurally so far and will do so with that location also.
Each beam needs to be asked as a separate question
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What does that mean?
It means if you have another beam sizing question beyond the ridge beam size I just provided, it has to be asked as a new question
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does that require another charge?
It’s not reasonable to answer all questions about a building in one thread. It can quickly snowball out of control
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, I understand. I thought that I asked that question along with the other. And the purlin spacing also.
We’re really limited to one question per thread. You still get a deal. Call a SE’s office sometime.

If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant