Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have a ground floor porch with a shed roof (3:12).

I have a ground...

I have a ground floor porch with a shed roof (3:12). Currently it has a 6 x 4 wood header on a 14' span. I want to widen the roof to 25' 6". (with a 24'-6" span). I would like to maintain close to the 6X hieght (so it does not block my window). What size steel girder would work in its place?

The header is 4'-6" from the wall.
3/8/2018
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help.
Do the rafters extend past the header?
What is the city and state so I can look at Snow loading?
2 x 4 rafters extend past the header by 13". Comp roof. 1 x 10' t & g sheathing.Sunnyvale California.Thanks.
Rafters are 2' O.C.
You can plan for a W 6 x 20 beam ASTM A992 Gr. 50
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
for a W 6 x 20 beam ASTM A992 Gr. 50 Steel beam. What is the equivalent size bean in I beam fiberglass, and Glu Lam with similar height but different width or doubling up if needed?
You can’t get close to that shallow with wood. Steel is 15x as stiff as a glulam. Fiberglass can’t come close, either.
OK, thank you. You have been helpful.
No problem. I’m happy to help. Good luck with your project.