Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I noticed a random stair step crack yesterday when I was…

I noticed a random stair...
I noticed a random stair step crack yesterday when I was looking at my new roof, I’ve never noticed it before. I walked around the house, didn’t see any others. Think this is just settling or something serious? I tried to get pics this morning. One guy told me he didn’t think it was serious, but I wanted to get a second opinion. If you zoom in you can see the crack, it looks wider to me in daylight. The house was built in 1961, just in case that matters. Thank you!
3/8/2018
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can not see the crack in either of the pictures. Is it right in the middle or off the edge of the window?

You said you were looking at your new roof, what type of roof did you get?

Just walked around the house again to double check, I do not see any other cracks

I see the crack now, thanks.

To me, it does not look really significant to me.

The best thing you can do is monitor the crack a certain location and her is how you do it:

1. You need to use a ladder to get access to a portion of the cracK

2. You need to use a ruler and draw a line perpendicular to one of the horizontal cracks and another line perpendicular to one of the vertical cracks.

3. You then need to measure the crack width at each location and mark down the two measurements in a note book with the date.

4. Then take measurements at the exact same locations every week and log the measurments

This is the only way to understand if there is actual crack movement that is increasing. If you do not see any change in the crack width over a period of time, then you should have nothing to worry about. If you see continued movement, then you would need to have a Geotechnical Engineer come out and investigate the cause of the settlement/movement.

You also need to watch to see if there is any out of plane movement (crack surface offset).

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, please click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Thank you, ***** *****! I appreciate your help.

You are welcome.