Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have access to 2 - 30 foot I-Beams that are 22 inches up &

I have access to...

I have access to 2 - 30 foot I-Beams that are 22 inches up & down (5/8 inch of an inch thick) and 8.5 inches left to right 3/4 of an inch thick). The 8.5 inches left to right are slightly thicker where they intersect the up and down piece. I want to use these 2 I-Beams to make a bridge. How much can they support? Harold

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

Not that I aware of.

3/8/2018
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello. Any answer yet?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not need a live phone call.
How wide will the bridge be?
What will be the decking? Intended for pedestrians or vehicle?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It will be 12 ft wide. 4in white or red oak decking. It will be for vehicles typically cars or 10000 pound tractor
I will check the beams for the tractor and pedestrians, but you will need to have the deck checked, too
I will assume they are W21x73 and A36 steel
They can support a pedestrian bridge road and up to a 30,000 pound vehicle load. That’s for the beams only. The deck needs to be checked separately
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is that 30,000 total or 30,000 each beam?
30,000 total.
Pedestrian bridge load, not road
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks
No problem. I’m happy to help. Good luck with your project.
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant