Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have access to 2 - 30 foot I-Beams that are 22 inches up &

I have access to...

I have access to 2 - 30 foot I-Beams that are 22 inches up & down (5/8 inch of an inch thick) and 8.5 inches left to right 3/4 of an inch thick). The 8.5 inches left to right are slightly thicker where they intersect the up and down piece. I want to use these 2 I-Beams to make a bridge. How much can they support? Harold

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

Not that I aware of.

3/8/2018
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello.
Hello. Any answer yet?
I do not need a live phone call.
How wide will the bridge be?
What will be the decking? Intended for pedestrians or vehicle?
It will be 12 ft wide. 4in white or red oak decking. It will be for vehicles typically cars or 10000 pound tractor
I will check the beams for the tractor and pedestrians, but you will need to have the deck checked, too
I will assume they are W21x73 and A36 steel
They can support a pedestrian bridge road and up to a 30,000 pound vehicle load. That’s for the beams only. The deck needs to be checked separately
is that 30,000 total or 30,000 each beam?
30,000 total.
Pedestrian bridge load, not road
Thanks
No problem. I’m happy to help. Good luck with your project.
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant