Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have an interior wall between my living room and dining…

I have an interior...

I have an interior wall between my living room and dining room. There is a (3) 2x6 beam above the wall that the floor joists are hangered to. Per the blueprints there are 4 2x4s at either end of the beam. Can I remove the wall?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

I don't think so. There is another flush beam 4 feet away that is the main beam that is supported below in the basement with a steel support beam and the 2nd floor load walls are over. The wall we want to remover has no support below and there are no walls above it on the second floor.

3/7/2018
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello. I can help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great

What is the span of the beam in question?

What is the joist length on each side of the beam?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't talk on the phone at this time.

Thank you. The triple 2x6 beam will not be able to span that far, so you will need the wall or a bigger beam.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I miss spoke. They are 3 2x10s
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I sent you a picture of the blue prints that shows the two beams and the wall.

As long as it is supporting that one floor only and nothing else above it, then the triple LVL is ok without ceramic tile above.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great. No ceramic tile on 2nd floor. And no wall supported.

Perfect. So you should be good to go.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. We also verified the 4 2x4s supporting either end of the beam.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks.

Great! Good luck with your project.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant