Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

My question is for a 32’ span, with 12 foot rafters and a…

Hello, my question is...

Hello, my question is for a 32’ span, with 12 foot rafters and a 4/12 pitch with comp roof what would be the recommended steel I-beam?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Thanks Pearl, so this is for a ridge beam.What else do you need to know?

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

Just old Skip sheeting and Half-inch ply over that. The rafters will be doubled up with 2 x 4 spending the entire rafter distance and a 2 x 6 run in the entire rafter distance every 24 inches.

How long should I expect to wait for a response?
2/26/2018
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help

Hello, my question is for a 32’ span,...

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Tutor's Assistant:Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

Just old Skip sheeting and Half-inch ply over that. The rafters will be doubled up with 2 x 4 spending the entire rafter distance and a 2 x 6 run in the entire rafter distance every 24 inches. Also how long should I wait for a response?

Do you need any other information?
Is this for a ridge beam or along the eve?
Ridge beam
Did you get my response?
I did. It looks like my second question didn’t go through. What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading?
CONCORD, CA. WE DON'T GET SNOW
You can plan for a W16x40 bean ASTM A992 Gr. 50 steel
Would it make any difference if the 12' rafters are two ft. of rafter tail each?
Is it 12 feet plus a 2 foot tail? Or 10 feet plus a 2 foot tail
10 feet plus a two foot tail
No meaningful difference
okay. thank you!
No problem. I’m happy to help. Good luck with your project.
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant