Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have a basement with concrete foundation walls. They were…

Customer Question
I have a basement...

I have a basement with concrete foundation walls. They were suppose to do an 8 ft door in the concrete cold storage and it’s only a 6’8” door. Would it compromise the integrity of the foundation to cut into the concrete and make the door 8’?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

The house is in Utah. Basements here usually have standard 8’ high walls but this basement has 9’ high walls.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
2/6/2018
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 5 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help.
Is this a residential structure or a commercial structure? 830 just a bearing wall or a non-bearing wa
Is this a bearing wall or a non-bearing wall
Bearing wall
Please respond via typing
Residential
How wide would the doorway be?
What would The joist length supported by the wall? Is it supporting two floors plus the roof?
Width of doorway is standard width
Not changing the width just the height
What is the thickness of the concrete? Is it reinforced?
No joist all concrete cold storage
Thickness is about a foot
All concrete 15x 6 cold storage room
Yeah has a concrete lid?
top is concrete too
Is this completely independent of the residence? There’s no exterior wall going up that supports the joists? For the second floor
Cold storage room is under the front porch of the two story house
the wall it’s supporting is supporting joists? No?