Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

Two issues: contractor poured a footer and slab for an

Customer Question
Two issues: contractor...

Two issues: contractor poured a footer and slab for an addition against the house slab. Poured three inches lower than house slab and a month later poured over the first pour. 1: hollow sounds in parts of 20x16 slab. Failure to acid etch or apply bonding agent? 2: will installing ceramic tile over joint require a crack isolation membrane?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

Both existing slab and addition slab are the same height now but the joint is rough. Is this possible bonding error something a building inspector would fail if discovered?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/6/2018
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 1 month ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello. I can help

1. You shouldn't hear anything hollow as a result of bonding or not. That most likely means that the slab wasn't properly consolidated and there is an actual void in the topping slab

2. You should do your best to align joints in the tile with joints in the slab. As far as a isolation membrane for the sake of the tile, that is best asked of a good tile contractor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What does properly consolidated mean and what is a solution other than forcing the contractor to break it up and re-pour?Is there a chance the addition slab could move away from the house slab causing cracks in the tile joint?

It means that it wasn't vibrated and the concrete has air voids. no way to fix the hollow sound and voids without replacing if that's the problem.

Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 28 days ago

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant