Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I would like to remove some walls to open space in my house.

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to remove some walls to open space in my house. What information do I need to determine the size of the beam required?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Its a 25 ft. Span supporting only the roof.

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

I don’t know what else to ask. There would also be dead weight from snow. I live in western New York.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Structural Engineering
12/27/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 1 month ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
The beam will span 25'?
Is this an exterior wall?
What is the city and state so I can look at Snow loading?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lancaster, NY.
No. It’s an inside wall separating the space. There is a header now separating the living room and dining room. The kitchen is boxed in. So the beam runs parallel to the outside wall about 13 feet in. There are 3 2x6 in the middle of the span supporting the two beams.

Is it a flat roof?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pitched roof. Can I send pictures?

Yes. You can attach pictures here with the paper clip icon.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why is the question closed? You never answered my question.
The question doesn't appear to be closed. I'm still waiting on the pictures
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here are pictures with the walls in place and then removed with temporary beam with supports. I would like to remove all supports and have one beam. There is nothing but attic and roof above.
Thank you.

Thank you. I'm looking now

I will give you two sizes. One if it supports the attic only and one if it supports the roof and the attic.

If it supports the roof, you will need four 1.75" x 20" 2.2E LVL

If it does not support the roof, you will need three 1.75" x 16" 2.2E LVL or two 1.75" x 18" 2.2E LVL

Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 25 days ago

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you. That’s it.
I appreciate your feedback. I will also rate you.
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant