Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I'm looking to take out some walls and I wonder how much of…

Customer Question
I'm looking to take...

I'm looking to take out some walls and I wonder how much of a span my trusses can handle

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

The home is 28 feet wide. exterior walls are 2x6 the trusses are Howe and are 44 feet long

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

The trusses have 5 posts with the outside posts directly over the exterior walls.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Structural Engineering
12/27/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 1 month ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hi
You want to remove walls below the trusses, correct? Not parts of the trusses?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is correct. I uploaded a rough diagram and indicated the walls I want to remove

Are the trusses running up/down on the page or left/right?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
left to right

Those left/right dimensions don't add up to 44' as referenced in the original question. Is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
correct. there is a wrap around porch on either side of the house that the trusses cover
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the trusses do extend out

What is the size of the truss chords?

I see 2x6.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2x6

The trusses should be spanning the full 44'

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im looking to see if I have a pic of the exterior
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do. give me as second
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
does that help?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
To be sure I understand, are you saying that the trusses can span the full 44' without a problem?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
without a load bearing wall in the middle or some support in the middle?

I would be surprised if there is a load bearing wall in the middle.

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant