Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have a metal building and want to put windows in an outer…

Customer Question
I have a metal building...
I have a metal building and want to put windows in an outer wall. I want a 20 inch wide window that meets the fire egress requirements. I think it will need to be 20 inch wide by 42 tall. I can find some for roughly $600 each but not sure if it is the right kind as far as fitting it to be leak proof through the wall. I will be framing up to the outer skin of the building. What kind of outer frame or what method is best? I'm not quite sure exactly what to look for. Any example of how to install one on a metal building? The matal is corrugated and the ribs are 1 1/4 tall.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/23/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 4 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help.

Here a link to a Mueller Metal Buildings video that discusses the various methods of installing a window in a corrugated metal building wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_tbsk29plY

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any questions after you watch the video

I’ve seen a few videos but none told me which parts to buy. I’m more interested in finding a 20w x 42h egress window with a frame for a metal building.

The bottom of the egress window opening can't exceed 44” from the finished floor. The minimum opening area of the egress window is 5.7 square feet. The minimum egress window opening height is 24” high. The minimum egress window opening is 20” wide.

A 3040 (3'x4') window should meet your needs.

You just need to contact your metal building manufacturer to sell you the windows and flashing required.

I know the code. I need narrow so I will be using a 20 wide x 42 high. I can’t find one suitable for a metal building. Metal building companies act like they have no idea what I’m referring to. Their answer is “we offer two styles of windows”
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 3 months ago

You are going to have to go to a window manufacturer like Anderson to get your specific size window you are looking for. Here is a link to the Anderson site and a sample table of dimensions available.

https://awwebcdnprdcd.azureedge.net/-/media/aw/files/technical-docs/sizing/sizing-windowswithstormwatch--400series-tilt-washhungfull-frame.pdf

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, please click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

I know where to buy windows. The question is about the window frame and method for installing into a metal building.

I am sorry that I can not seem to help you. I will opt-out of the question and maybe another expert can help you.

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant