Structural Engineering

Connect one-on-one with a verified structural engineer who will answer your question

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

More related answers
All structural engineers are VERIFIED
Ok, I need to get calculations, steel sizes, connections and
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
ok, I need to get calculations, steel sizes, connections and bracing details to build a crash deck in a quarry to protect people and machinery from falling rocks 150kg from a 4m height. see tech data … read more
I was wondering if you can answer my question here. I have a
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello again,I was wondering if you can answer my question here.I have a joist, comprised from 20 foot beams, size 2.5 x 5.5 inches Douglas fir custom milled.I believe that a span of 20 foot is too big… read more
24 x 40 foot home with full basement. Floor joists are
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
24 x 40 foot home with full basement. Floor joists are center lapped 2x8 going the 24 foot width with a center support of 2x12 length ways going the 40 foot length. Steel 4 inch tube posts every 8 fee… read more
If I put some concrete down on top of some previous concrete
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
If I put some concrete down on top of some previous concrete like near me garage would it be stable or would I need to like drill some holes and put in some kind of anchor system that the concrete can… read more
I just have a question .... about retrofitting .. this is
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
I just have a question .... about retrofitting .. this is about our 400 year old stone church in the Philippines it is made of stone the walls are about a meter long ...this church has survived major … read more
Hello, I want to install an engineered beam in the middle of
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello, I want to install an engineered beam in the middle of my ranch home between the kitchen and living room to open up the space. It will only be holding up the ceiling as the only thing above it i… read more
Hello, Is it possible to mount a davit or jib crane on the
Expert, structural engineer
Hello, Is it possible to mount a davit or jib crane on the second floor of our post and beam barn? We need to be able to bring large items and heavy items into our shop on the 2nd floor. Would be goin… read more
Greetings, Im designing an addition along the back (long)
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Greetings, I'm designing an addition along the back (long) side of a ranch with two gable roof systems offset slightly (gables on sides, not back). Because the garage and former breezeway part of the … read more
My wife and I are looking at renting a townhouse in Los Angeles
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
My wife and I are looking at renting a townhouse in Los Angeles (N Redondo Beach) but we are concerned about earthquake safety. The place we are considering is currently being renovated and we noticed… read more
Im not sure this category is right for my question. Please
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
I'm not sure this category is right for my question. Please let me know if this is not the sort of answer you deal with. I own a ranch-style brick house in the Northeast with the typical gable roof. T… read more
Hi, Wanted to get an opinion about a cracked joist in the
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hi, Wanted to get an opinion about a cracked joist in the basement. The crack runs mostly horizontal from an old notch-out that's in the wood. There is an original wooden post underneath that area tha… read more
I have 5 1/4 x 9 1/2 inch Boise Versa Lam beam in my basement.
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
I have 5 1/4 x 9 1/2 inch Boise Versa Lam beam in my basement. I have a two story home. I'm finishing my basement and a support column for the beam is right in the center of my media room. I would lik… read more
I have questions regarding disruptive curtain wall cracking/popping
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
I have questions regarding disruptive curtain wall cracking/popping noise in a high rise building. Is this a topic you're familiar with? Please let me know; questions will follow.… read more
I was looking for a brick layer on the list of experts but
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
I was looking for a brick layer on the list of experts but you may the fall back expert unless I missed something. I want to cut a hole in my basement cinderblock wall and put in a new window. So far … read more
My home has a post tension foundation. It is 8 years old and
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
My home has a post tension foundation. It is 8 years old and located near Los Angeles. Three days after a recent 3.8 earthquake coupled with rain, 20" tiles popped out almost exactly in the middle of … read more
I am trying to build a bridge capable of spanning approx. 25
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
I am trying to build a bridge capable of spanning approx. 25 feet able to carry a fully loaded large vehicle and possibly light to medium grade construction equipment. This bridge will be about 15-20 … read more
I need to stiffen a 21 long wall that is typical wood construction,
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
I need to stiffen a 21' long wall that is typical wood construction, with doubled-2X6 vertical studs (pine) on 16" centers, varying in length from 7 1/2' to 16', as the wall is taller on one end than … read more
1 1/2" thick mortar cement (fine mortar sand, masonry cement)
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
1 1/2" thick mortar cement (fine mortar sand, masonry cement) mixed with latex liquid additive (for thinset) and also pozzolan (metakaolin) yielded dusty, scratchable, broomable "concrete" after 28 da… read more