Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I want to build a privacy screen wall on a deck. Wall to be…

Customer Question
I want to build...

I want to build a privacy screen wall on a deck. Wall to be 7ft tall measured from the deck surface. Deck is 8 ft off the ground. Rim joist is 2x10. What are the building code requirements for connecting 4x4 posts for screen to the deck and how do I install the posts to meet the requirements?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
12/19/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 7 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help
When will you be helping?

There is no building code requirement for exactly what you're asking about other than to be sure the posts are designed for the correct wind pressures and that the connections to the primary structure are adequate. As well as making sure the primary structure can support both the additional global forces and the localized connection forces.

I can go through that process for you, but I would need a lot more information and to submit a premium service offer.