Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have a pitched ceiling and want to hang a 300 lb load from…

Customer Question
I have a pitched ceiling...
I have a pitched ceiling and want to hang a 300 lb load from the trusses near the center of a 16 foot span. The ceiling trusses are 16 feet between supports (the top of the roof and the exterior wall). The space between trusses is 24". The pitch on the roof and truss is 6:1. I assume with that span the trusses are 2x6, but I haven't cut into the dry wall to make sure (builder could have cheaped out and used 2x4s). Can I use two 3/8" eye hooks screwed into two adjacent trusses to distribute the load? Or would i need to open the drywall and install a wood span between two trusses using joist hangers
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
12/15/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 7 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help
Are you sure they're trusses? It would be pretty atypical to use trussesbto span only 16'
They may not be trusses - may just be 2x6 or 2x4 set at the 6:1 pitch to creat the roof.
The 16 feet is just half the width of the house - the 16 foot span is from peak of the roof to the outside wall
the truss would be spanning 33', then, between the exterior walls? No?
I may be using the wrong term when i say truss. Since the interior wall and roof are the same pitch I dont think their is a triangular shaped truss - i assume they just placed 16 foot long 2x6 or 2x4 boards from exterior walk to top of roof. Is that a common way to construct a roof without trusses? Construction was done Approx in 2004
That makes more sense. Unfortunately, a 300 pound load at the center of a 16' 2x6 would overload it with no other load at all
Ok - i thought that would be the case. In my original question i asked would it be ok to distribute the load between two of those boarsds via two 3/8 inch eye hook screws placed into two adjacent boards or via a 4x4 cross brace between two boards held in place with truss hangers
No. You will need to reinforce the rafters you need to load.
Ok - thanks
No problem. I can design the reinforcement and connections as a premium service if you want
No thanks. I have to rethink if its worth doing this at all.

Great. If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.