Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Removing central wall on 1st floor. The floor joists above…

Customer Question
Removing central wall on 1st...
Removing central wall on 1st floor. The floor joists above meet above this wall. Need a beam which can replace the wall. Any type of steel, flitch, etc. is acceptable. Would like to know the correct size for standard deflection.1) Length of the Beam
18’ 6” assuming 3” bearing on each end.
2) What is it supporting (1rst, 2nd floor, roof etc?)
2nd floor & attic.
3) The length of the floor joists on either side of the beam/ or one side if it is an exterior wall
12.5’ on one side, and 19’ on the other. Both of these measurements include a 2' cantilever / overhang which is outside of the outer walls of the house. ie, the second floor is 4' wider than the first.
4) Any point load on the beam? If so where is it located on the beam?
No
5) Any height restriction on the beam
I’d like to fit it within a 2x10 depth which is 9.25”.Thanks!
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
12/15/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 5 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
Hello
live call- no thanks
Will it support any ceramic tile?
there are two bathrooms on the second floor which have some tile - wall & floor

I'm going to size a I beam.

You can't meet the deflection requirement for ceramic tile (L/600) with that depth beam with a reasonable weight with your span and loading. A W8x67 (9" deep and 67 pounds per foot) will work for strength and deflection.

For a flitch plate beam, you would need four 1.75" x 9.25" LVL with three 1.25" x 9.25" steel plates bolted together. That is required to meet deflection, not strength.

for those two options, what deflections would be expected?. If I understand it correctly both would exceed l/600?Thanks

Both would NOT exceed L/600. L/600 is the limit.

Okay but I'm confused now because your earlier message read "You can't meet the deflection requirement for ceramic tile (L/600) with that depth beam with a reasonable weight with your span and loading."Why did you say that of in fact we can meet that deflection?Also - what deflection would you design for if there were no ceramic? And would that change the break design at all?Thanks
Sorry typo. Didn't mean "break" but beam.
A W8x67 beam is not a reasonablenweifht
Reasonable weight
120 pounds per foot of plate thickness is also not reasonable
Thank you for the clarification.When you say not reasonable - do you mean that the beam is so heavy it is impractical to work with? Or were you thinking about the supports that would be required? Or something else?

That it's VERY atypical for a beam. A W8x67 is generally a column section. And, while it can be used as a beam, it's not practical... but it CAN be used. It's just not an efficient use of material and will weigh 3x what it should

I see. Since this would be so unconventional, can you recommend any alternative? For instance, should we use two parallel beams to divide the load? If so we might have to provide footings for them. For the single beam I think the supports would land on the steel supports already in the basement.Assuming we go with the single beam, would wood 2x support columns be sufficient or would we need to look into a steel column?Thanks
Haven't received a reply to my last comment yet but the site keeps asking me to rate this answer.

The single beam will be the lightest weight. The only real alternative to lighten the structure is to use a deeper beam.

Were my questions about support columns outside the scope of a single question on this site? I've never posted here before.
They're not outside the scope, I'm saying that would be even more impractical.
Ok. I also had asked would wood 2x support columns be sufficient or would we need to look into a steel column?
I would not recommend would support columns for the steel I-beam. You could potential he use would support columns for the flitch plate
Potentially
With the flitch beam, would more steel plates reaching the same total thickness be equivalent? This looks to be less expensive in materials.-----Could a box tubing profile take the load with less weight per sqft? Or any other standard profile for that matter?Thanks
That would be acceptable.Hey rectangular tube will be more efficient, and last week, then the plates, but still heavier than the I beam
If we need to pass wiring or plumbing through either the W or flitch beam, is it OK to drill through following typical rules of thumb for hole location? ie not in the middle 1/3 of the beam (lengthwise), and in the center of the beam top-bottom but holes < 1/3 of the height?Also for the flitch - is there a standard bolting pattern that should be used? Grade & size of bolts?Thanks
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 4 months ago

Aactually, the middle third lengthwise is ideal

Thanks for the correction about the drilling location.What about the bolt pattern?

5/8 " diameter in two rows of 16". Stagger the upper and lower rows by 8". Provide 2 1/2" edge distance top and bottom.

ASTM A307 Bolts

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant