Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I live in an historic house - built in 1860. I have noticed…

Customer Question
I live in an...

I live in an historic house - built in 1860. I have noticed multiple cracks in the upstairs bedroom ceiling and also see a crack in the wall in the dining room that is directly below the bedroom. I can't tell whether the cracks in the ceiling are coming from the slate roof, which also has leaked in some other areas in the bedroom, or from perhaps a problem with the foundation of the house. Thoughts?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

The ceiling cracks in the upstairs are also appearing in other rooms as well.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
12/14/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 7 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
Do I need to get a structural engineer to examine the crack in the dining room wall near the floor to determine if that is the source of the cracks in the upstairs ceilings in many rooms?
I'm fine with this mode of communication.
Can you respond to my question?
I apologize for the delay. I got stuck in a meeting.
Are the cracks in the ceiling near the walls or kind of midpoint between the walls?
Most are in the middle of the ceiling or moving from close to the wall toward the middle of the ceiling.
Thank you. Are the cracks primarily in One Direction or are they really in both directions?
Both directions.
Can you attach any pictures?
the first few are all from the ceiling and walls within one bedroom. The last one is of the crack in the wall in the dining room directly below that bedroom
IMG_0746.JPGIMG_0746.JPGIMG_0747.JPGIMG_0747.JPGIMG_0748.JPGIMG_0748.JPGIMG_0749.JPGIMG_0749.JPGIMG_0750.JPGIMG_0750.JPGIMG_0751.JPGIMG_0751.JPGIMG_0752.JPGIMG_0752.JPGIMG_0753.JPGIMG_0753.JPG