Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I want to install a fish tank that is 6' by 2' wide and will…

Customer Question
I want to install...

I want to install a fish tank that is 6' long by 2' wide and will weight 230 lbs/ft2.

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

The floor is made of 2x10's, 14" on center, with every 3rd joist doubled up.

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

The span of the joists is 10' and the tank will run perpendicular to the joists

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Is this a scam? Hello?
12/13/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 2 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help

Let me read your question a bit closer.

Where will the tank fall along the 10' span floor joists (at midspan, up near one end or the other, etc.)?

Are you still there?

Near one end. Within 3' of the end.
No thx
On the call offer that is.

So 3' from end to side of tank?

you are going to need to double up each of the 2x10's under the tank, so you will have double 2x10's spaced at approx 16" o.c.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, please click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

The basement below is finished. Well finished with bathrooms, a hallway, a bedroom and a laundry room beneath. Adding joists isn't an option. What per ft2 load calculation do you come up with? How many pounds per square foot should my 2x10s 14" oc, with every third already doubled up, should that floor be able to hold?

1. Is this a bedroom or a general occupancy room?

2. Do you know what species and grade of lumber your floor joists are?

3. When you say 14" o.c., are you sure you do not have 16" o.c., that is the most common spacing?

Custom home. Yes, completely certain. 110% certain. Just measured in the unfinished part of my basement to confirm. I am trying to add a picture of what's written on the boards...

That would be nice to see the stamps, thanks

Yes, it looks like Southern Pine (#1 grade), that is nice.

Is this a bedroom or a general occupancy room?

Also, the tank will be going in my den... General occupancy I guess.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I have assumed the following from your information:

Southern Pine (#1 grade) floor joists spaced at 14" o.c. and spanning 10'

Live Load = 40 psf and Dead Load = 10 psf

2' strip load from fish tank of 230 psf with side of tank 3' from wall, so strip load is from 3' to 5' from wall, perpendicular to the floor joists.

With this configuration, you are at approx. 90% of the allowable bending capacity.

It would be great if you could make sure 2 of the doubled up floor joist are under the tank.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 1 month ago

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant