Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I'm looking to build a screened porch in Iowa that measures…

Customer Question
I'm looking to build...

I'm looking to build a screened porch in Iowa that measures 16' wide by 20' long with a vaulted ceiling at the same pitch as the roof (6/12). What size LVL beam would be necessary to carry the load on the ridge?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

Just that it's on the south side which could mean snow drifts would build up on it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
12/11/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 7 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help
Is this a gable or mono slope (shed roof)?
Gable. There will also be a valley connecting to the existing house, which will not be supported by the ridge beam. Most of the snow load will probably actually build up on that part of the roof.
I'm looking to vault the ceiling at the same pitch as the roof and the ridgepole would have to support the load because the walls would be free to push out.

You can plan for six 2x12 Hem-fir no. 2 or four 1.75" x 11.875" 2.0E LVL