Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have built an addition using 2x10 ceiling joists. They…

Customer Question
I have built an addition...
I have built an addition using 2x10 ceiling joists. They span 23'. There is no center wall. Please size a header using LVL or regular lumber - I prefer not to do use steel. I will cut the 2x10s and slide the LVL's in between and use joist hangers to hang the cut 2x10 to LVL. The beam span is 13'. Question gets a little more complicated. The LVL would also have to cut through a rim joist/header beam that is currently supporting a second floor wall (and roof above it as in picture). This header beam is 2' from the end of the 13' the LVL will span.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
also, let me add that the existing header we would be cutting through that already supports a second floor a bathroom tile wall
12/6/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 4 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help
Are you working on it
walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant