Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Looking at doing a loft conversion, span is 6.8X9.8mtrs

Customer Question
looking at doing a loft...
looking at doing a loft conversion , span is 6.8X9.8mtrs ,basically doing it in 3 sections to make it manageable have used a 254X146 ,, 31 kg on a 7mtr span before ...should i go up to a 37 kg steel in that size? its the truss roof type
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
12/6/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 7 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help
Which direction will the steel beams be spanning?
the 9.8mtr direction
the roof is about 2.8 high ,looking at useing 9x2 to span about 4.5 from hangers off the steel to allow for the new floor
need any more info??

I apologize for the delay. When you say three sections, do you mean breaking each beam into three sections or breaking the 6.8m wide space into three sections?

Breaking the steel across the span of 9.8m in 3 and using plates and bolts to connect ..standard here to do it that way ..accomadates the lifting by hand trew the house

I can size that beam and provide a detail for doing that, but I will need to submit a premium service offer for that.

That will require a slightly larger beam than a single, unspliced beam. It would also require the proper plate sizes and thicknesses and bolts.

Just looking at a guide as it can't be certified by your end and the clients don't want to go down the road of certification as this will be an unhabital room ....I've talked to the steel supplier who have done jobs on similar projects ...they have used a bigger beam if 330mm x 143mm 40 kg so I'm just seeing if it workable for handling as in 3 sections each beam could be over 120kg each and 4 men might be able to carry that up trew a house with a bit of effort
But the connections become at least as important as the beam size. I will size the beam as a single piece and let you adjust that and design the connections how you see fit. Is that reasonable?
that would be fine,thanks